This was such a delicious and incredibly moist cake! Just a reminder also that I normally use organic ingredients too, so you can just take that as a given. I also used 2 tins and ended up with a loaf as well as a round cake, so great for kids school lunches as well as a treat for friends.
4 Cups Pitted Dried Dates
4 Cups Cold Water
1 tsp Bicarb
150gms Virgin Coconut Oil
1 cup firm dark brown sugar (rapadura/coconut/succanat are all good choices)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 ½ cups Buckwheat Flour
1 tsp aluminium free baking powder (available at health food stores)
½ cup Dessicated Coconut
1) Preheat oven to 160C or 140C Fanforced
2) Grease and line a 10inch round tin & a loaf tin or one large 12 round inch tin
3) Combine Dates and Water in a large pan and bring to boil.
4) Remove from heat , then add Bicarb and stir and leave to cool (about 20min)
5) If you have a stick blender, blend the dates in the pan, otherwise transfer to a food processor and blend.
6) Beat Coconut Oil, sugar and extract until well combined
7) Add Eggs one at a time and keep beating.
8) Add flour & baking powder and then add the date mixture and stir until well combined.
9) Pour mixture (it will be quite runny) into the greased/lined tin/tins
10) Bake for approx. 40 – 50 mins if using 2 tins or 1 ½ hours if one tin, but make sure you check with a skewer…. If it comes out clean it’s ready. Or you can touch the top of the cake… if it bounces back when you press it, it should be cooked.